McConnell Transport Ltd is seeking a Controller to join our growing team. We are seeking an ambitious, success driven individual to be accountable to drive the overall success of the financial activities across the organization. This position will report to the President and work to maintain responsibility for the leadership of all aspects of financial services for the company, including financial planning, reporting and analysis, budgeting, job costing, general accounting, revenue, accounts receivable/payables, cash management, and payroll processing. If your big city commute is getting to be too much, or maybe you are looking for a change, this is a great opportunity for someone who is familiar with the area, to be a part of a community near the Canada–United States border.
The successful candidate will seize every opportunity to improve revenue generation and realization, and appropriately work to manage costs and facilitate efficiency in operational processes associated with all aspects of the operations. The Controller will report to and provide support and financial insight to the President on a regular basis. Specific duties include (but are not limited to):
· Evaluate, maintain and continuously enhance the finance and accounting functions of the organization, including monitoring and reporting financial performance
· Prepare monthly/quarterly/year external and internal financial reporting related to the financial position of the organization including revenues and expenses
· Ensure month/quarter/year-end processes are completed in a timely manner to ensure accurate financial reporting
· Ensures that all financial and non-financial reporting requirements are met on a timely, regular basis and in accordance with appropriate/relevant Accounting Standards.
· Ensures the long term financial viability of the through appropriate planning, assessing risk, development of appropriate controls or policy, and evaluation of programs.
· Provide valuable financial insights and analysis to assist the owners in decision making
· Develop, implement and regularly monitor Key Performance Indicators as they relate to the accounting and finance functions
· Study and develop overall understanding of market trends to determine consumer demand, potential sales volumes and effect of competitors’ operations on sales
· Evaluate, maintain and continuously enhance the finance functions of the organization, including monitoring organizational performance
· Manage the preparation of financial forecasts for the organization including the consideration of historical results and future assumptions
· Prepare budgets for expenditures of the company for approval of the owners
· Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, budgets and actual expenditures
· Ensure that effective internal controls are in place and take steps to enhance, where necessary, the internal control systems within the organization and keep the senior leadership team aware of the financial position and financial development of the organization
· Evaluate structures of departments and identify opportunities for improvement and finance policies and procedures
· Manage and train accounting employees to enhance capabilities and ensure accuracy and consistency throughout the department
· Direct supervision of all accounting functions, including the oversight of the monthly close process, monthly/quarterly/annual financial statements, financial reporting/analysis, collection/accuracy of accounts receivable, and supervising accounts payable.
· Manage and develop external relationships including , financial institutions, lenders, , vendors and suppliers
· Oversee all banking arrangements including required reporting and ensuring on-going covenant compliance
· Facilitate any auditing conducted by third parties to ensure effective resolution and swift closure of auditing activities
· Adhere to all company policies, procedures and business ethics
· Other duties as may be assigned by the owners
· Significant (preferably 5+ years) mid-level management experience in a similar role
· Experience working to support a growing family enterprise is considered an asset
· Degree in Finance, Business or related field of study from a recognized university or a combination of education, training and experience
· Possession of a recognized professional Accounting or Finance designation (CPA,CFA)
· Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
· Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections
· Ability to think outside the box and work in a ‘hands on’ role
· Excellent organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines
· Must be able to adapt and operate effectively within new and challenging environments
· Strong work ethic with personal drive for success
· Must possess excellent verbal, analytical, organizational and written skills.
Please note that this position will require primarily being on-site in Woodstock, New Brunswick.
This role requires an experienced financial leader who is highly motivated by success and is dedicated to driving profitability results. The successful candidate is an organized, collaborative leader that is capable of steering financial initiatives to maximize efficiency throughout our organization.
Demonstrating superior communication skills, you create constructive and positive dialogue with the leadership team and will provide support and financial insight on a regular basis, while ensuring timely and accurate financial reporting. As a leader of the finance function, you must be able to show leadership while simultaneously working as a team by sharing your financial knowledge and expertise to motivate and educate colleagues. Along with ensuring that all employees and company departments comply with financial policies and procedures, you are seizing every opportunity to improve revenue, improve costs and processes associated with operations.
We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and women. Members of designated groups are encourages to self-identify. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents will be given priority.